Famous People That Overcame Alcoholism
Alcoholism is a cunning, baffling, and powerful disease, one that does not discriminate and completely devastates the lives of every individual who suffers from it. No demographic is safe from the grasp of alcoholism. This disease affects everyone from the man who has been homeless for 60 years and who lives alone under the bridge downtown, to the rich housewife who has it all, lives in a multi-million dollar mansion, and appears to be thoroughly happy with her life. Thus, it comes as no surprise that celebrities struggle with alcoholism too.
Many famous people have struggled with alcoholism and who have lived to tell the tale – humanizing this complex disease and reminding others they are not alone has become the intention of many famous people who have survived alcoholism. Below we have laid out several celebrities, their struggles with alcoholism, and how they have overcome this devastating disease and gone on to spread the word of recovery.
Famous People That Recovered from Alcoholism
- Daniel Radcliffe – That’s right – Harry Potter himself has struggled with alcoholism. Daniel Radcliffe, a famed British actor, admitted in an interview that he had been struggling with alcoholism for quite some time. He explained that he had been drinking on the set of Harry Potter and that when his close friends expressed concern regarding his behavior, he sought professional help and has been sober now for quite some time.
- Zac Efron – Zac Efron admitted that he was admitted to inpatient alcohol rehab twice during the same year and that becoming a celebrity while he was so young led to substance abuse and dependence. During an interview, he admitted that a combination of therapy and the 12-step program of Alcoholics Anonymous ultimately saved his life.
- Ben Affleck – This A-list celebrity has been very open with his struggles with alcoholism. He has openly expressed his struggles in multiple interviews, admitting that he completed several inpatient and outpatient treatment programs before maintaining sobriety long-term. he has expressed the importance of humanizing addiction and hopes that being open with his issues will help other men and women seek the treatment they so desperately need.
- Kat Von D – This tattoo artist initially gained celebrity because she was featured on a reality television show. Now she owns her makeup brand and continues doing what she loves, working as a famed tattoo artist. She has also made a major impact on the recovery community, coming out as sober in 2018 when she announced the 11th anniversary of her alcohol addiction recovery. She has noted in several interviews that it can be difficult for intensely artistic people to overcome addiction – however, it is always possible with the right tools in place.
- Michael Phelps – This Olympic athlete and 18-time gold medalist had to undergo several DUI arrests to eventually start working on his drinking problem. In 2014, Phelps entered himself into an inpatient alcohol rehab. He underwent 6 weeks of intensive treatment and attributed personal struggles with depression to the continuation of his alcohol abuse. He has been sober for quite some time now and acts as a major advocate for alcohol addiction recovery.
Comprehensive Alcoholism Recovery
If you have been struggling with an alcohol use disorder, know that you are not alone. At Agape Treatment Center, we cater to men and women of all ages and demographics who’ve been suffering from alcoholism – we even have a specialized program that caters to the unique needs of celebrities, including an increased level of confidentiality and discretion. No matter who you are or how severe your alcohol abuse disorder has become, we are available to help. Simply reach out today for more information on our comprehensive program of alcohol addiction recovery.